” 10 minutes of sit-ups ,” my college track coach would yell at the end of every practice.
He hated abs. Not that he was lazy – I was an athlete, after all. But who wants to do 10 minutes of sit-ups? Really! It’s so boring. However, some days I had to do up to 1,000 sit-ups (or more).
But no more sit-ups: I know a better exercise.
If you’re like me, you don’t want to waste your time with boring abs… but you still want a flat stomach. Flat and toned abs are not only attractive, they are also a strong core important for your health .
If you want strong, sexy, flat abs, but don’t want to waste your time doing endless sit-ups, we have good news for you. Fitness experts have found the solution: an exercise that can replace up to 1,000 sit-ups .
This exercise is called “the plank” or “the plank.” It is a static exercise. You just have to use your body weight by keeping your body straight, while keeping your balance on your hands and feet, without making any movements. This incredibly effective exercise only takes 60 seconds.
This is how you do it:
Follow these instructions to find the correct starting position:
- Press your palms firmly to the ground. Stretch your shoulders and keep your neck long.
- Your hands should be comfortable.
- Squeeze your glutes to engage your lower body muscles.
- You should feel your legs get a little warm. If not, place your heels further apart. And do not forget that you should only support the toes.
When you have the perfect position, you are ready to start:
- Press your hands into the ground. Press your elbows into the ground as well.
- Make sure your wrists are in line with your shoulders. Keep your back straight.
- Look up, but not too high, about 30 inches in front of you. The back of your head should be parallel to the ceiling. The nose should be facing the ground.
- Stretch your left leg back and then extend your right leg. .
- Tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Hold this position between 20 and 60 seconds. If you can only do it for 20 seconds at first, that’s okay. Keep gradually increasing the time until you can get to 60 seconds.
- Take a short break for about 20 – 30 seconds in that position.
- Do this exercise 3 times in a row. Soon you will be able to repeat this 3 times for 60 seconds per repetition. Do this 3-4 times a week for best results.
But the best thing is that if the explanations have not been clear, you should watch the following video:
This exercise is not suitable with a bad diet. Make sure you eat clean and healthy foods, following a diet full of organic vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and legumes. Do this exercise for at least 20-30 minutes a day using a combination of cardio and strength work. It will be an exercise that you will like! By following a healthy diet, some exercise, and adding this “plank” to your routine, you can have great abs to show off on the beach.
The plank is by far my favorite exercise. What’s yours? SHARE it below.